Mission / Purpose
Dedicated to helping people discover, document, and share their Jewish family history.
The Jewish Genealogy Society of Greater Washington was founded in 1980 to collect, preserve, and disseminate Jewish genealogical knowledge and information.
- Promote interest in genealogical research.
- Provide instruction in the use of research methodology and adherence to genealogical standards of accuracy and thoroughness.
- Foster careful documentation and promote scholarly genealogical writing and publication.
- Promote the preservation of Jewish genealogical records and resources.
- Instruct and educate our members and the general public.
Membership in the society is open to anyone who is interested in supporting these goals.
Operating Year: July 2023 - June 2024
Board of Directors - Elected
Board of Directors - Appointed
||I. Michael Snyder
|Technology & Website:
||Edward J. Fox
||Marian B Apple
||Mary Ann Evan
Check Your Member Meeting Notice for Virtual Meeting Settings
Due to the current COVID-19 Maryland, Virginia, and DC states of emergency, JGSGW is using virtual meetings to bring genealogical topics of interest to our members. At this time, we're using Zoom
for the virtual meetings with Zoom settings provided in the member's meeting notice sent to all members. Meetings are planned for every month except for one month in the Summer when the IAJGS annual conference is held. Once the COVID-19 emergency ends, we anticipate continuing with a mix of Virtual and Physical meetings. Not a member, join now
Meetings of JGSGW were generally held monthly from September to June usually during the first or second Sunday of the month in one of several synagogues in the Maryland, Virginia, or District of Columbia. Visit the Calendar/Events Page
to discover the many events that may help you in meeting fellow genealogists, learning new tips and techniques, and gaining knowledge about historic Jewish communities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere.
During July and/or August there is the annual conference of the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies (IAJGS) and other occasional special events.
JGSGW Guest Attendance Policy: Meetings and most events are free to JGSGW members. Non-members may attend physical meetings for a fee of $5. If they decide to join JGSGW at the meeting or event, the $5 will be applied toward membership. Members who require personal assistance due to a health condition or disability may bring an assistant at no charge.
- JGSGW is a member of the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies (IAJGS), the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS), the National Genealogical Society (NGS), and the Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington.
- JGSGW is a non-profit organization under U.S. Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). Contributions to JGSGW may be tax deductible; consult your tax advisor. Mailing address: PO Box 1614, Rockville MD 20849-1614.